Those attending interviews are entitled to claim back reasonable expenses incurred as a result of attending the interview. However expenses repaid may not cover the entire cost of the journey or accommodation and there are certain rules regarding receiving this entitlement which should be adhered to. It is, therefore, important that you are aware of these prior to making arrangements for your journey to the interview.
Candidates should only book overnight accommodation when travelling outside of their region to the interview venue or if reasonable travel arrangements cannot be made for the day of the interview.
Air fares are not usually payable except in exceptional circumstances, and you would need to prove that travelling by air was cheaper than by rail before you embark on the journey.
The following principles apply:
- For those attending an interview who are travelling from outside of the UK, reimbursement is only payable from the point of entry to the UK to the interview and return to the point of entry (with receipts).
- Night allowance for staying in commercial accommodation can only be paid UP TO a maximum of £55 per night (bed and breakfast).
- Night allowance for staying in non-commercial accommodation (e.g. staying with friends/relatives - names and addresses must be supplied) is paid at a rate of £25 per night (no receipts are required).
- Meal allowance UP TO a maximum per meal as follows:
- Lunch £5 per meal (receipts required)
- Evening meal (only paid if you returned home after 7pm) £15 per meal (receipts required)
- Mileage allowance is currently paid at the public transport rate of 28p per mile. Please ensure you enter the miles actually travelled in the appropriate column of the claim form. Mileage will be checked against the AA Route Planner and reimbursed on this basis.
- Rail fares are reimbursable at the standard rate only (attach ticket/receipt)
- Taxi fares will only be paid for short journeys such as from the nearest train station to the interview venue (with receipt). Extensive taxi journeys will not be authorised or reimbursed.
- Claims for incidental expenses e.g. newspapers, telephone calls and alcohol will not be reimbursed.
Claims will not be accepted without relevant receipts attached and incomplete forms will be returned to you.
Deadline for Submission
The deadline for receipt of claims is one calendar month after your interview date. Candidates are advised to keep a copy of the form and receipts that they submit, in case of problems with the postal service.
You will need to complete a form for each individual interview that you attend within Health Education South West - Peninsula Postgraduate Medical Education.
Any reimbursement of travel or subsistence claims is at the discretion of Health Education South West and will only be considered for expenses incurred wholly within the UK. Health Education South West reserves the right to submit any claims to the scrutiny of the NHS counter fraud and security management service to ensure proper compliance with the conditions of claiming