STUDY LEAVE FOR GP TRAINEES
Please see HEE's guide for trainees accessing centralised study budgets - link to follow
1. Study leave for core training in General Practice will be approved if:
a) Agreed by your Educational Supervisor following a systematic examination of your individual development needs
b) You can demonstrate that the request is in keeping with your Personal Development Plan
2. Study leave for specialist courses of relevance to General Practice or training for extended General Practice skills will be approved if a and b above are met, PLUS
c) Your Educational Supervisor states that you are making excellent progress and there are no concerns about completion of core requirements for Certificate of Completion of Training.
3. Where courses are delivered locally by HEE/RCGP or other local education provider organisations study leave for similar external courses will only be approved if:
d) GPSTs can demonstrate that it was not possible for them to attend e.g. they were on
nights, or they have specific learning needs relevant to GP, identified in their PDP, which can only be fulfilled by another course. PLUS a, b and c as above.
4. Study leave for specialty seminars and courses which are not relevant to GPs will not normally be approved; examples include histopathology, specialty examinations and courses - MRCP, and FRCA.
5. Expenses for exams will not be reimbursed. Expenses for travel to/from exams will be reimbursed subject to the rates set out in the the trainee guide to Travel & Subsistence expenses - link to follow
6. Process for approval and funding:
• GPST identifies activity based on PDP/identified learning need
• TPD/ES advises on, approves and signs bid (with patch AD advice if needed) For Peninsula trainees, claims should be signed by a Patch TPD/APD.
• Trainee pays for course and sends TPD/ES backed application with receipts to the School of Primary Care (address below)
• The School of Primary Care approves the application and arranges payment.
• Payment will be made by BACS directly to the trainee
• Travel and subsistence costs can be reimbursed under this scheme at a rate of 0.28p per mile or public transport costs (receipts must be included with all claims). Contributions towards overnight accommodation are capped at £55.00.
Please see the trainee guide to Travel & Subsistence expenses - link to follow
Peninsula GP trainees only
Please complete the study leave expenses claim form , have the claim authorised by Patch TPD/APD, and return it, with receipts, to
Health Education England